Thursday, December 10, 2009

emailed November 25, 2009

Sometimes I can be a bit slow to embrace change. Maybe I’m cautiously skeptical. Maybe I’m just plain scared. My high school got computers when I was 16, but I refused to learn how to use one. I wanted to handwrite my ten-page Brit Lit essay from the perspective of Grendel’s mother, thank you very much.

My first dabbling was with an Apple IIe in college in 1988. In 1992, once I was earning a big teacher’s salary, I bought an Apple PowerBook. Got into emailing with America Online in 1995. Figured out Gmail in 2006. Started reading The New York Times online on a regular basis in 2007. I joined Facebook in 2008. And now, as we move into December 2009, the end of the Aughts or Naughts or whatever we’ll wind up calling the ‘00s, I have tentatively dipped a toe into the rushing waters of Twitter.

That’s right. I’m a twit. A tweeter. It’s a whole new – brave new ­­– world. I’m so thrilled it will have me. My teenage daughter doesn’t even use Twitter! Here I am downloading Tweet Deck and making TwitPics and using bit.ly and it feels good.

So I would like to invite you to follow Oenophilia on Twitter. Our username is Oenophiliacs. If you’re already on Twitter, you know what to do. If you’re not so sure about it all, it is important that you know you can participate as much or as little as you like. It only takes a few moments to create an account at www.twitter.com. You don’t have to “tweet,” and you don’t have to make your profile public, but you can “follow” Oenophilia and receive quick updates about products and promotions and random fun stuff. For us, it’s a great way to convey information to our customers. Keep the lines of communication open, if you will.

We’re just getting started. Waking up and smelling the potential. I see this as a great tool, but only if we can reach a large number of people. Our first ever Oenophilia Twitter promotion will be announced on December 1, and it will go through the end of the month. Tell me, what do you think?

A

No comments: