Thursday, December 10, 2009

emailed October 27, 2009

I know, I know. It’s only a matter of days before the costumed hordes arrive at your door to shake you down for Reese’s cups and super sour Gummi worms. You’ve got a lot on your mind right now, I’m sure. Like costumes. What should you be? Vampire/Stripper? Nurse/Stripper? Strawberry Shortcake/Stripper? Michael Jackson? (When he was alive, people!) And what to pass out to all the trick-or-treaters? I’ve got a tip for you: ixnay on the aisinsray. How about what wine goes best with caramel apples. Try the Vouvray Moelleux. 1990. Huet, please. ’K? Can we move on, now?

Good, because while the rest of the country may be preoccupied with visions of jack o’lanterns dancing in their heads, you should be thinking about flutes. Champagne flutes. The holidays are almost here! The season of cheers and toasts will soon be upon us. I like toasting. Really, I’m a big fan. And it doesn’t have to be anything especially poignant or involving heavy sentiment or an abundance of fifty-cent words.

Toasts are fairly universal. From Hungary ("Egészségedre") to Iran ("Be salahmatie") to Switzerland ("Zum Wohl") to Greece ("Yia mas"), it is common to drink to “Good health.” And sometimes the toast is inspired by the sound made by the cups (“Chin Chin” in Argentina and France, "Tchim-tchim" in Portugal and Brazil, and "Topa!" in the Basque Country. Or it can be an actual celebration of the cups (“Gan Bei” in China and "Skål!" in Iceland, Norway and Sweden.) Just be sure to look your fellow celebrants in the eye.

I am also a big fan of Champagne. Cava. Prosecco. Give me sparkling. Frizzante. A little bubbly-bubbly. Exuberance in a bottle. Celebration in a glass. And the glass does matter. This holiday season, try our Oenophilia Perfect Stemware Champagne flutes. Beautiful and durable, and at just $3.00 per stem you can afford to have plenty on hand. Talk about a treat.

We also carry the Stöelzle Grandezza collection, and I can special order from their other collections of lead-free crystal stemware. Just let me know how I may be of assistance.

Repeat after me:

“Salud!”

“Pura vida!”

Or as those crazy Brits like to say,

“Bottoms up!”

A

No comments: