Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Just Nod if You Can Hear Me

The other evening I had the unfortunate experience of certain technical difficulties resulting in a loss of Internet access. I know. The horror!

Now, I’ve got a decent amount of technological expertise. Or, more specifically, I have experience in dealing with temperamental equipment-types. I used to teach, which means I’ve spent quality time with cranky copiers, pissy printers and sullen servers. At one middle school, Estelle (that’s the printer), was so needy that I oftentimes had to dismantle her altogether and stroke her various cartridges a bit before she would give me what I wanted. No matter. I’m trainable.

And I’m pretty good at pulling plugs, hitting reset buttons, reconfiguring and rebooting. Whatever it takes to get me over the hump and where I want to go. But the other night! The other night, nothing was working. And I had no wi-fi. I need wi-fi. I have blogs to read, news to peruse, social networks to check in with, email to catch up on, things to do. We have a new wireless router, so the problem had to be with the modem, and nothing from my usual bag of tricks was working.

I wound up having to call customer service for McTeleCorp, Inc. One of those loops where you put in your phone number and choose from their menu of various problems and indicate your modem type and then hhhooooooldd. Forreverrr. There wasn’t even any muzak or that canned “your call is important to us.” Just silence. The only reason I knew I hadn’t been cut off was because the counter on my phone showed how long the call was lasting. 28 minutes and 43 seconds I waited. And no. No one helped me. I finally hung up. But the thing that made me feel so crazy is that I’m stuck with McTeleCorp, Inc. For a good long while.

Here at Oenophilia, it is our goal to provide top-notch customer service, where you actually connect with someone. This is what sets us apart from the crowd. Facebook us, tweet us, send us a fax or an email. Pick up the phone and give us a call. There’s always a real person on the other end. And I can say with all sincerity that my customers are very important to me.

The lines of communication are open. There’s no monopoly, no contract. I know you have choices, and I am very grateful that you choose to do business with me.

A

No comments: